Join us for the haunting of Guilford Center Village. This year, many local Guilford organizations will participate to present a handful of activities to celebrate autumn, halloween, harvest season, and our great community. Returning events this year include the 7th annual Trunk or Treat Dance Party, and the 29th annual All Hallows Eve Trick or Treat Celebration. Three new events are included this year. Take a spooky walk in the Andrew Weeks Forest, but watch out for the Ghosts of Guilford. Enjoy the film ‘Whisperer in Darkness’ written by H.P. Lovecraft while staying in Guilford. Join in pumpkin decorating and present your jack-o-lantern in Guilford Center on Halloween. Keep reading to find out more about all the events happening this October!
Spooky Walk: Ghosts of Guilford
- Friday, Oct. 26th 5:00 – 6:15 PM
- (Gather at Broad Brook Grange at 4:30 to walk over to Weeks Forest)
- Host: Conservation Commission
- Location: Andrew Weeks Carriage Trail
- Target Audience: All ages welcome!
- Donations Welcomed to support the Guilford Conservation Commission
- Facebook Event: facebook.com/events/378959699310679/
The Conservation Commission will lead participants from the Grange to the Andrew Weeks trail for an evening walk with friends and family. Meet colorful characters from the Guilford Town History, who will tell their spooky stories. Enjoy some hot apple cider once you reach Mother Honeywell and her cauldron. Bring a flashlight for the walk back.
*Following the Spooky Walk, consider walking along Carpenter Hill Rd. to the Meeting House to enjoy the movie, The Whisperer In Darkness.
*Purchase food at the Playscape provided by the Guilford Country Store between events.
The Whisperer In Darkness
- Friday, Oct. 26th 6:30 – 8:00 PM
- Host: Historical Society
- Location: The Meeting House
- Target Audience: Pre-teen to Adult
- Donations welcomed to support the Guilford Historical Society
- Facebook Event: facebook.com/events/2201156973503727/
H.P. Lovecraft wrote “The Whisperer In Darkness” while living in Guilford. The story and the movie are 1930’s period pieces. The movie has many references to Guilford and its surrounding communities. The Historical Society will show this movie at the Meeting House. The Guilford 6th Grade class will introduce the movie by sharing information about the movie’s historical references. This is a Cult Classic movie which may not be appropriate for young audiences.
Pumpkin Painting, Carving and Storytelling
- Saturday, Oct. 27th 10:00 AM
- Host: CC4G, Guilford Free Library
- Location: Guilford Central Village Natural Playscape
- Target Audience: Children and their families- all ages welcome!
- Free Event!
- Facebook Event: facebook.com/events/754066518269795/
Join CC4G and the Guilford Free Library as we gather together at the Guilford Center Village Natural Playscape to celebrate the fall season by carving and decorating pumpkins and reading stories and singing songs about all things pumpkins! We will be giving out free books to take home and you can either take your pumpkin home or use it to light up the night for Wednesday’s Trick or Treat and Stories at the library.
7th Annual Trunk-or-Treat and Dance Party
- Saturday, Oct. 27th 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
- Host: Guilford Recreation Commission
- Location: Guilford Central School
- Target Audience: All ages welcome
- Suggested Donation of $1/person to support the Guilford Recreation Commission
- Facebook Event: facebook.com/events/172757800280924/
The Guilford Recreation hosts the 7th annual Trunk or Treat and Dance Party at the Guilford Central School. Community members bring their decorated trunks to the school and from 5:30-6:00 children ‘trick or treat’ at each trunk as they walk around the loop. Vote for your favorite trunks: Most Spooky, Most Interactive and Most Creative- custom trophies awarded for each category. From 6-7:30, the school gym is transformed into a Monster Mash for an evening of music & activities: glitter tattoos, black light art and ghoulish sensory boxes. Enjoy a snack from the snack bar, have your photo taken by a photographer, and have your fortune read by a Tarot Card reader.
29th Annual, All Hallow’s Eve – Guilford Center Village Trick-or-Treat
- Wednesday, Oct. 31st 5:00 PM – 7:30 PM
- Host: Guilford Free Library/Meeting House
- Location: Guilford Center Village
- Target Audience: Children (up to age 7) and their families
- Free Event!
- Facebook Event: facebook.com/events/2254979361389749/
Guilford Free Library invites families with young children to trick or treat the Guilford Free Library and 7 of their neighbors in Guilford Center. Trick or Treaters can look forward to cider and doughnuts, a few ghostly activities and a book to put into their trick or treat bag. At 6:00, march in costumes to the Meetinghouse next door and gather on stage for a special Hallowe’en story time, some creepy songs and a costume dance. The Mistress of Ceremonies is Laura Lawson Tucker, and spooky music will be provided by Bob Tucker.
We are excited to celebrate this wonderful community. See you soon!